Hand-outs from linguistics lectures
(JACT Ancient Greek Summer School, 2009)
An introduction to historical linguistics, reconstruction and Proto-Indo-European for school students
An introduction to some methods of syntactic analysis and an application to conditional sentences in Greek
An account of the different dialectal and diachronic elements in the Homeric Kunstsprache.
A consideration of the nature of phonological systems, an introduction to the principles of sound change and a description of the major sound changes which occurred in Greek and Latin.
Introducing some theoretical terminology and applying it to Greek and Latin.
- Definitions and Scope [pdf]
- Syntax [pdf]
- Nominal morphology - case [pdf]
- Nominal morphology - case syncretism [pdf]
- Nominal morphology - number and gender [pdf]
- Verbal morphology - tense and aspect [pdf]
- Tense and aspect in Greek and Latin, and introduction to modality [pdf]
- The moods in Homeric Greek [pdf]